Mr. and Ms. J

Griselda Chavez, Reporter

On April 29th, 2017, the annual tradition of selecting Joliet Central’s Mr. and Ms. J took place at the Jacob Henry Mansion. This title of tradition dates back to 1958 and it is awarded to students who best represent the ideal student who has a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 and presents themselves through community service, character, and school involvement. The selection process begins with 20 students nominated to be finalists. They then go through interviews by a panel of teachers and community members. Their roles as Mr. & Ms. J finalists has expanded throughout the last couple years to also being student ambassadors to the school who promote the contributions Joliet Central makes to the community and the opportunities provided to the students. Throughout the year these students have spoken with neighborhood organizations, religious communities, and service clubs. Many have also tutored at Mt. Carmel Church on Friday nights. “Each and every one of our Mr. and Ms. J finalists have demonstrated strong character and have done an outstanding job representing Joliet Central High School,” said sponsor Linda Bowers. This year’s winners are Ben Hallihan and Vanessa Flores. The Mr. and Ms. J first-runner ups are Angel Bautista and Abby Augustine, and the second-runner ups are Ignacio Rios and Aubree Smith. The rest of the Mr. J finalists include Jared Ellis, Moises Garcia, Landon Luangsomkham, Jessy Marasco, Amanda Affrunti, Lesley Ulloa Aldape, Corissa Hansen, Virginia Sanantonio, Nisa Theard, Samantha Varman and Haley Zobel. The JTC Journal would like to give huge congratulations to all the finalists!