Breaking Through

Breaking+Through

Marisol Martinez, Photo Editor

As a freshman, I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I had always loved taking pictures and when I started taking photography I saw many different ways that photography can be used and I really enjoyed it. At the end of that year, I had decided I wanted to be a photo-journalist. Starting my sophomore year is when I officially became the photo-editor of the JTC Journal. I got to go to games and other activities to take pictures and then edit them based on what we need for the journal. This is something that I really like to do but after finding out a different career choice, I realized that this might be more of a hobby. During my sophomore year, I started taking American Sign Language; I’d been wanting to learn ASL since eighth grade, but I wasn’t able to take the class as a freshman. I do believe that everything happens for a reason and maybe if I would’ve gotten the class as a freshman, then I wouldn’t be where I am now. As soon as I started learning sign language, I instantly fell in love with, I love that I can use my skills to communicate with the Deaf and Hard of Hearing community. On April 17th of 2018 is when I saw a sign language interpreter for the first time in real life and I love how they help people by interpreting. The final for my ASL class was interpreting a song and I chose the song “Supermarket Flowers” by Ed Sheeran. During all my practicing is when it clicked that this was something that I love and want to do.