Steelmen Homecoming 2012: Neon Night

Back to Article
Back to Article

Steelmen Homecoming 2012: Neon Night

(from left) Brittney Lange, Kelsey Frain, Emily Eicholzer, Heidi Gerstenkorn, Yanette Gonzalez, Mari Morales, Jaelyn Tate, Lilly Cleary.

Haylie Lohmar, Editor/Reporter

September 29, 2012 Joliet Central held its annual homecoming dance celebration.  Preceding the dance was a week full of spirit and exuberance including spirit days, the annual sports assembly, the homecoming parade, and homecoming game featuring the Joliet Central Steelmen and the Sandburg Eagles. It is no secret that the current student population views homecoming different than those in earlier decades; fashion, dancing, and music all change from year to year but perhaps this year the biggest change was the attendance count. Sure, the numbers were down, but it did not stop Central from getting together to create memories.

For the dance, the ladies got glammed up in their new or finest dresses, and the guys didn’t disappoint either putting on their best attire. Many ladies included the theme into their attire by wearing bright dresses, shoes, makeup, or jewelry.  Neon Night introduced new lighting in the rafters of the gym, and a new DJ who helped students make the most of their night without replaying a song.  As students entered the gym, glow sticks were given out and were worn around student’s necks, wrists and even ankles, enhancing the theme and the energy that students were radiating off of one another. The overall ambiance was energetic and entertaining.  It took some time for students to load into the gym and get excited to dance, but once everyone relaxed the fun could officially begin.

Ms. Maupin and Ms. Tuxford along with the student body who helped organize the dance did a fantastic job bringing the Steelemen together to make history once again. The gym served as a timeless venue to hold the classic homecoming dance.  This year’s homecoming celebration served as a fantastic way to bring students and the faculty together to get excited for the 2012-2013 school year.