MLK Day of Service

Ethan Finch, Reporter

Martin Luther King’s legacy lives on as he has single handedly changed the nation for a better future. King was a minister and Civil Rights activist. For his poise and leadership during the Civil Rights era he received the Noble Peace Prize. Although he was assassinated he proved himself to be the most honored figure to this day.

Still to this day MLK’s name serves as a reminder. With a national holiday, schools and many public buildings named after him. Joliet Central also has been influenced and inspired to further continue the MLK Day of Service. Central and West students complete community projects on January 18. The people involved help the community by painting, garnishing schools’ appearances, serving meals, and many more projects.

The Community Services Council of Will County has celebrated MLK’s holiday by uniting Americans and spreading positivity. The Federal Holiday’s purpose was to respond and answer to a call of action. Simply saying “what are you doing for others”. Volunteers who wanted to serve their communities and neighborhoods answered to the call. Now the non-profitable organization has been an annual event for years and will continue to carry on the legacy of an honorable man to society.

Joliet Central’s efforts have took action and is a part of the Day of Service. Clubs like Human Relations are cleaning places like Morning Star. This event has grown quite exponentially in the past decade. In 2006 there were only 11 volunteers, 2 projects, and 45 hours of service. In 2015, the day of service has grown to 659 volunteers, 23 projects, and 2,636 hours of service. Now in 2016 who knows how many hours of service and volunteers will turn out and serve a purpose to the many projects at hand. The goal this year is to achieve 1,000 volunteers, 50 projects, and 4,000 hours of service. With such a positive message behind the national event its participation will most likely increase in the future.