Shattering Glass Book Review

Shattering Glass Book Review

Dominique Graczyk, Reporter

Shattering Glass” by Gail Giles is a novel that follows a group of high-schoolers while they attempt to turn a social outcast into the most popular kid in school before graduation. Rob, Young, Bob, and Coop decide to ‘adopt’ Simon Glass into their social click and turn him from the least popular to the most popular student in their school after they witnessed Lance bullying Simon just for the fun of it. The only catch to their agreement with Simon is that Simon has to do exactly as rob says and be the most obedient ‘pet’ ever.

Simon knows that rob has massive ulterior motives for helping him become popular so he has a hard time not disobeying because of the lack of trust. Robs best friend Young even has a hard time trusting him when he adopts his new project. Although Simon has a hard time obeying to everything rob says, he tries not to let it show and eventually does everything that rob tells him to do up till the end.

Rob plans to make everybody like Simon and make him the most popular in the whole school and in doing so turn the once most popular student Lance into the new social outcast. Rob wants Simon to switch places with Lance in the schools popularity latter. Rob refuses to tell anyone why he’s doing any of this but as prom and graduation draws near things start to take an unexpected turn and quickly become toxic and nobody expected things to turn out the way they did.

The way the book is written, and laid out makes it hard for the reader to tear their eyes away from the pages of the book. Every detail within the book draws the reader in to the plot more. Gail Giles makes it seem so real and the possibility of these events to be true is astonishingly to say the least. The ending will leave the reader in shock and want to know more about what happened after senior prom and how the situation was handled by everyone who was involved.