Artistic Coming of Age…

Carola Cardoza, Editor

As we continue to grow and mature, we all have different coming of age moments in our lives. With everyone being involved in different activities and having different interests, no one will have the same coming of age experience. We all grow in different ways which makes our experience that much more unique. Growing up, I was always interested in drawing and making art and through that I experienced my special moment. When I was very young, I always drew little houses with flowers and stick figures with rainbow colored hair but as I grew up, those figures and flowers started changing into different things. Once middle school came around, I was creating bigger and more developed things such as animals and detailed patterns within them. High school soon came, and everything completely changed. I realized how much I matured and grew after a few weeks of being in intermediate art the beginning of my Sophomore year. My first assignment was a still-life where you draw non-living objects in black and white and although my object was a simple half of an apple, I put in a lot of work and effort to make it look good. After all those hours of shading and blending graphite to create the illusion of reality, I thought to myself, “Now I’m not just in art for fun but I’m in it to be recognized, compete in art shows and try to win scholarships based on my work. It isn’t stick figures for fun anymore, it’s work”.