Coming of Age

Martina Lohmar, Managing Editor

What do you want to be when you grow up? This is the most asked question from when you are about five all throughout high school. While many people don’t have any idea what they want to do, others have known since they were ten. For me, I have always been interested in the medical field. I have tossed around different careers within the field for years now; Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Surgeon, Physician Assistant. Now, as I have gotten older and began thinking of college, the question has changed to, “Have you decided on a school and major yet?” I can’t say I have necessarily “come of age” or had a certain experience. I think coming of age is a phase, something that takes a while for us to finally complete. Personally, I feel that it’s likely i’ll begin my coming of age within the next year as I start looking for colleges and make the decision what I prefer to major in. During high school, we seem to mature and create a sense of identity. However, in college, we establish our identity as we become independent and have to make decisions on our own. While I expect the next few years to be very hectic and difficult, I couldn’t be more excited. Although I don’t know when it will end, if it ever will, I look forward to this next phase of my life.