Engine Team Goes to Las Vegas!

Rachel Hunter, Reporter

Did you know there is an Engine Team at Joliet Central? Joliet Central has an Engine Team comprised of several students. The Engine Team has been up and running as an activity since 2009. This year Joliet Central’s Engine Team which included, their coach Mr. Reisdorf, Kevin Conroy, their team captain Eddie Arriaga, Antonio Gonzalez, Gustavo Ruiz, and Ulises Carreno went to Las Vegas! They went to Vegas to participate in a competition against 22 different teams throughout the U.S from November 2nd until November 6th of 2015. The team competed once on the 3rd, twice on the 4th, once on the 5th and on the 6th the team had their awards ceremony. The team was awarded 10th place out of 22 teams in the nation that competed at the event. When interviewing Kevin Conroy, a member of the team he was asked why he decided to join Engine Team. Conroy’s response was “I joined Engine Team because I thought it was really fascinating how it all worked. Also, because my older brother was on the team when he was a senior”. While the team was in Vegas and they were not only competing they also walked around the SEMA Convention which is the country’s biggest car show for the automotive aftermarket industry. Also, after the show the team walked up and down the Las Vegas Strip. Conroy was also asked what he liked about being on the team, Conroy replied saying “What I like about Engine Team is that we do something not a lot of people can do and other people say they’re good at basketball, or football but we can say we’re good at taking an engine apart and putting it back together”. Conroy says “Engine Team is more team building than it is really engine building, because it takes a tremendous amount of teamwork to get the job done right, and if you don’t have good communication and teamwork, you won’t make it in this gig”. Conroy was asked if he would recommend joining Engine Team and he responded with, “I would recommend joining Engine Team for anyone who is a complete gearhead like myself and the rest of my team”. Kevin also informed me that Engine Team members have an opportunity to earn scholarship opportunities to automotive schools across the United States.